• Preview

    Immigration requirements

    All visitors should read over the immigration requirements well in advance of travel to ensure they have all necessary documentation. It can take 2 months or more to get appropriate paperwork depending on your nationality.

Immigration requirements

Last modified:

Immigration requirements for stays shorter than 90 days

Researchers and instructors, if non-EU citizens, will need the convention d'accueil

Non-French researchers and instructors (including EU citizens) will also need a Work Permit (Carte de Travail). Students generally do not need a Work Permit. 

Additional documentation might also be required. The information here is correct to the best of our knowledge at the time of writing, but users should confirm with their nearest French consulate.

Required documents

  • EU citizens: Only a valid EU passport is required. There are no visa requirements for citizens of the European Union, but non-French citizens who stay longer than 90 days should register with the municipality (Commune) where they live.
  • US citizens: Under the visa waiver scheme, American citizens conducting research or teaching classes are allowed to stay in French Polynesia for up to "90 days in any 180 day period" without a visa so long as they have a valid convention d’accueil. The 180 days is a moving window counting back from the date you are in FP. You can enter and leave FP, but the cumulative time you are in FP (inclusive of arrival and departure days) must not exceed 90 days in the previous 180 days.
  • Other nationalities: Please check with your nearest French embassy or consulate to see whether your country participates in French Polynesia's visa waiver scheme, and if so how long you are able to come without a visa. 

Groups: Classes and conferences

For non-EU students and conference participants, your lead professor or conference organizer will require the following information from you:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth
  • Address
  • Nationality
  • Passport number
  • Arrival date
  • Departure date
  • A scanned copy of your passport (under 2 MB)

Conference participants and students from countries other than EU countries, the USA, or Canada need to check with their nearest French consulate to ascertain whether or not their country participates in French Polynesia's visa waiver scheme.